2011 Planned Projects
Road: small extension to the playground park road to minimize the amount of rutting into the playground and near the portable toilet.
Street Lights: Itaska moving to dark-sky friendly lighting!
Fortis changed the street lights to a cobra head sag lens, which is dark sky friendly! (the bulb sits inside; polished aluminum refractor pushes light down and in a sausage pattern). The cost of the lights and installation will be paid for by Fortis as an investment for them.
- May 17: The road was graded and calcium applied.
- The culvert work from last year has been finalized by applying dirt and levelling.
- Ditch enlargement behind Lots 1 - 15 Block 4 Plan 792 1593. The area has flat spots, and as part of the NEPL's (North East Pigeon Lake Sewer Commission, which we are a part of) Emergency Management Plan the ditch needs to be able to handle a storm load.
Smith Park: Bed and bench restoration project completed to ensure safety for those using the bench, as well as easier maintenance on the plants in the bed. Completed using the Municipal Sponsorship Grant as well as the Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Project funding.
Projects completed under Grant Funding
- Curbs: correct the boulevard by installing curbs along the long properties
- Storm Drainage: installed 3 more culverts
- Frost Heaves: removed and repaired frost heaves in the road
- Smith Park Drainage: Cut a new ditch and graded properly to match the culvert in the next driveway
- Sandwich Boards: 3 boards were purchased to be put out as notices for ratepayers,and will be posted for events such as a reminder of the Annual Information Meeting, or Fire Bans
- Office Equipment: a new telephone, digital camera and digital projector were purchased (watch for the presentation at the next Annual Information Meeting!)
Additional projects in 2009
- Smith Park: re-highlight the plaque
- Tennis Court: fill structural cracks on the surface
- Spring Cleanup: a new company was hired to do the grass mowing and maintenance of flower and shrub beds: Sweet Landscaping. In the past we have put in nice landscaping amendities but could not maintain them. They did extra work in the spring to get some areas in control, but once achieved the end result will be worthwhile and be easier to maintain.
- Picnic Tables: 7 new picnic tables were purchased.
- Basketball Court: the plexipave surface was put down on the basketball court, so it now has the same surface as the tennis court.
- Beach Volleyball Court: Finishing our project from last year, sod was put down around the beach volleyball court
- Repair frost heaves
- Storm Drainage: Installed culverts for more effective drainage of properties and County of Leduc road - North of Itaska - draining to Pigeon Lake (#40, 42 & 44)
- Dust Control: the roads were graded and applied with calcium chloride (this project was 75% grant, 25 % municipally funded)
- RR474: A joint project was completed with the County of Leduc to re-finish the road coming into Itaska.
- Guard Rail: installed new rock guard rail by the S curve for increased safety, while continuing to maintain the natural feel of Itaska.